Sunday, September 28, 2008

Upcoming Week

I'm planning on continuing my Frisbee Unit this week. I used it as a "filler" before the big football unit. I went over throwing and catching techniques and have found that the girls are interested in Frisbee, but find themselves not wanting to partake in the activity because they're afraid of throwing and catching it. So, I spent a little bit of time on the throwing and catching aspects of it so they could get used to it a bit. We then went into Ultimate Frisbee, which is one of my all-time favorite activities! Some got into it, and others didn't. I found that when I participate, the amount and speed of the activity increases and when I don't, it just kind of fizzles and drags on. Anyone have any ideas on how to motivate the students when I can't be involved in every game? I keep thinking. . .music, shorter games with more opponents, dividing teams differently each time, etc.

5 comments:

Griff said...

It is crazy that you mentioned this issue, because I had the same experience today in class. Playing ultimate frisbee the girls started out ok, but within 3 minutes they wanted to quit. They asked about music, but my kids only want to dance when music is on so that suggestion doesn't work for me. I would like to know any of the suggestions you recieve, because I am having the same type of experiences.

SlowAnn said...

I found that with 5-7th grade that sideline usually gets the game moving. I have sideline players that stand on opposing sidelines and are free to participate in the game, but they can not assist in or score a point. The game then consists of 3 on 3 or 4 on 4 depending on the class size. It seems to work and it forces eveyone to get involved.

Patrick D said...

Variety, Variety, Variety.
I have found that variety is important for all games at every age. Shorter games and smaller number of participates can help but you need to give the students more options. Look at TGFU model. You can teach them a territory games unit and work on the same skills and tactical problems in football, frisbee, soccer, handball, basketball and etc. Use stations.

Michael Kristufek blog said...

Not that people like more rules but make it so people have to pass to everyone before they can score to get everyone involved. Or at least pass x number of times to different people.

Mr. Campsie's official PE blog said...

Susan,

I used to teach a game called Frisbee newcomb to elementary students. However, it still could apply to high school girls, in my opinion. You could use a softer Frisbee too if that is a concern.

This game is simply like the volleyball game except it does not use a net. You have a middle boundary line, which players do NOT cross. The game also has side and back boundary lines as well. If the Frisbee is thrown from one side and lands safely in the other side of the mid-boundary line, then a point is awarded to the throwing team. If a member of the other team catches the Frisbee than no point is issued. If the Frisbee does not make it past the mid-line or lands outside of the sideline or endline boundary, then a point is awarded to the receiving team. Fun game and the faster the pace, the more students get involved and get to practice Frisbee throwing and catching skills.