You know, its funny. . .I absolutely LOVE music and the fact that I have the perfect classroom environment to use music in my classroom is awesome. I was sitting behind my superintendent at the preview show for the band this summer and the band started playing one of the songs I ALWAYS play in my classroom. Naturally, I said, "Oh, I love this song. We always play it in my class." Haha, she just about broke her neck turning around and looking at me as if I had gone and lost my mind playing music in class. However, I cooly and calmly assured her how much it adds to a classroom if its used right. Oh, and I didn't forget to mention I always check out the lyrics and what not to make sure its appropriate. But, seriously, it adds so much to an activity its amazing! And, it allows you to save your voice by using the music to start and stop activities for you, instead of yelling to get the kids' attention.
At various points in the school year, I ask each student what their favorite songs are, what kind of music they like, who their favorite artists are, or what random songs they would love to hear played. I try to find clean versions of all of them, and of course, I check out each songs' lyrics. The last thing I need are parents or school board members calling me in to discuss my song choices. It take a bit of time, but I'm willing to do it because a) it adds so much to a classroom and b) I love music :)
OH! Also, I usually do a fun segment on "TV Theme Songs" during the Fitness Center. Then, I go around and quiz the students on who can name the Them Song the fastest. Its pretty fun :)
I did find, however, that its difficult finding clean versions of rap or hip/hop tracks without suggestive lyrics in them. Rihanna is the artist that delivers the most for my playlists in school. She has great lyrics and great, uptempo beats. Oh, and I have found that oldies, are goodies and 90's music is awesome :) My students can't relate all that much to 80's music, but N'Sync, The Backstreet Boys, Criss Cross, B*witched, and some other one hit wonders are perfect for fun music! I have about 20 playlists now on my iPod specifically for school. I also have created Christmas playlists as well. Have I mentioned that I love LimeWire, iTunes, my iPod, and everything else I use in my class pertaining to music!?!? I do. . .
Let me know if you are in need of any good songs for your classes. . .I'll be happy to share my playlists or make you some cd's!
Sunday, September 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I like using music in my classes also. It keeps thing moving wether you are doing stations, or just using it for background noise. My elementary kids love it, and when I don't play music they come up and ask why, or give me some request that they want to hear for next time. I feel that the music helps motivate them and they get a feel for the rhythem.
They recently changed my schedule around where I now only teach female students. Music is a big motivation with my new group of students. I would love any suggestions for clean song, because we are constantly playing music for our group fitness projects that we have started. Rap and R&B are the favorites with my students. Any suggestions are welcome!
We always use music in our classes and love it! We purchased the Radio Disney cd's (1-9) last year and they are fantastic. They have newer songs that the kids like, but they change some of the lyrics to make them appropriate. I would be happy to share the cd's with anyone who would like them, and I would love your "clean" songs as well. It really helps to motivate the students and makes classroom management much easier!
Post a Comment